Saturday, February 25, 2006

Proud parents and sad news

On Thursday, S received a letter congratulating him on being awarded $450 towards Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp. It's a 2 week camp for gifted performers. He auditioned a few weeks ago at school and get this - did it all on his own. Meaning he didn't let mom or dad know he would be auditioning for this. He said he didn't want us to stress him out. Understandably, I probably would have been on him about his appearance, etiquette and his lack of practicing his bass at home. Boy, does that boy know us or what? Actually, the way I have been feeling lately, I probably would have just given him the thumbs up sign and gone back to sitting on the couch. Either way, I would have said too much or not enough. I’m glad he took it upon himself to do what he felt needed to be done. I know this is the beginning of many more doors opening up for him. Now, if we can only figure out how to come up w/ the other half of that amount to actually send him to this camp! We will be applying for a financial need scholarship and see if we get anything from that. Spaces fill up quickly, so we need to get him enrolled soon! At any rate – We are so proud of him.

On a sad note here – Carrie, one of the mom’s of my daycare kids is in the hospital w/ pneumonia. She started feeling bad Sunday night and called me the next day to tell me that she would be staying home because they didn’t get a good night’s sleep at all. By Monday night she was headed to the hospital because her doctor thought she might have appendicitis. That was ruled out but pneumonia was ruled in and they were really concerned because this is the second bout of this in a short amount of time and because they found nodules on her right lung and wanted to do more testing. She had been running a fever - was unable to go home and is still in the hospital because of this fever.

Last night while at Nancy’s for a Stampin’ up party, she received a call from Carrie saying that the tumors they found in her lungs where that of 2 forms of slow growing cancer. Her options will be to remove them if they can or chemotherapy. It was a moment of sadness for us all. She is part of our moms’ group and is just an awesome woman all around. She’s so young – I think younger than me by a few years. We said a prayer for her while we were all together. Her dad drove in to surprise her earlier and her mom will be flying in tomorrow. I don’t know if I will have Sam this week or not. Hopefully Carrie’s fever will go down and she will be able to come home, so they can all be together as a family, instead of being cooped up in the hospital room.

It’s a sad situation but she is surrounded by the most loving prayer filled women I know and that in itself is gravy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

Oh my. This is such sad, sad news. I will be praying for this sweet mama and her family. Talk to you soon.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home