Thursday, February 23, 2006

Vick's vapor rub and other little things

Crispin has discovered Vick's and oh how he loves it when you put it on him. When he was sick, he would request that we rub it on. A few months ago I was chatting w/ a friend about it and how it was used on us as kids BUT only from my gra'ma. My mom was too hasty and would have rather dosed us up w/ meds rather than sit and rub on us. Thank God, I was hardly sick, but when I was it was always at gra'ma's house. Anyway, I was saying that I think the mere act of having someone physically touch you and rub on you is the healing power of it all and not so much the vick's. She thought that was interesting and had never thought about it like that. I have always thought about this, especially when S was dealing w/ asthma as a small one. I knew just taking time out and rubbing his back would be more comforting that just dosing him up w/ a breathing treatment. Sometimes it was hard to do the physical touching because it takes times and energy and we are so quick to give that up when we are feeling touch deprived ourselves.

Every night before bed I rub lotion on my hands and now every night Crispin will say "for Ki-Ki" and put out his hands and zip down his jammies. Last night I told him that I was going to have a baby and was he going to help me rub lotion on the baby too. He loves his knees and so he made me rub some on his knees too. After moms' group (yeah, I finally made it after being MIA for the last 3 weeks!) a friend gave me an infant car seat and I put it in the front seat and Creaky said, "Baby - knees" and started rubbing his knees. He remembered our talk from last night about helping mom rub down the baby w/ lotion. He's a sweetie pie!

I am having a very good day and hope that it only continues to get better from here on out. Everyone is on the mend. Clint is dealing w/ a bad head cold and since it was day off of school yesterday, he stayed home and rested. He did manage to do the dishes for me twice yesterday. It was a treat since I was battling a killer headache. I am so in that mode - FEND FOR YOURSELF! J had stayed home from school the last two days due to an annoying cough. He was mostly thinking of others than himself. He didn't want to be disruptive. S has managed to not be hit so hard w/ anything. Clint said something about S not getting sick because he got a flu shot and it just dawned on my right now - when did he get a flu shot? I don't think he's had one since 4th grade? I could be wrong. FEND FOR YOURSELF has been the game for a few weeks now. Next week is mid-winter break for our kids and for Clint too. S was invited on a ski trip w/ his best friend. It should be fun and hopefully he is spared from any health issues while there.

It sounds like it's nap time - gotta go!

2 Comments:

Blogger tif-do said...

I remember when I was preg. with Ty and Wyatt was so little. We'd ask him where the baby was and he would point to my belly. One day I asked him where the baby was and he said "my eart" and pointed to his chest. They have had such love for each other always.
I can't imagine Kasey acting that big. I think wow Wyatt was this age when Ty was born, he seemed so much older and independant. I guess they are what we need them to be.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Joxer's Human said...

What you wrote about the Vick's is dead on.. I had this horrible chest cold last year and, while at the pharmacy buying NyQuil, I picked some up.. Before I crawled my sick self back into bed I rubbed some on my chest. Didn't do a damn thing for me.. Funny how it always seemed to work when my mom did it... I got up and took the NyQuil.....

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home