Thursday, January 19, 2006

20 month old and Project WAIT


Guess who has a twenty month old today? I do, I do! I can’t believe it! In 4 more months he’ll be two! TWO! Time sure has flown by! He’s so precious. Cute as can be and pure joy to have around. A few weeks ago, Jack had his BF that moved away for a year come and stay the night. They built a fort in his room and decided to make Creaky the king. So for 2 hours Creaky played along side them and they responded to his every whim.
It was so sweet to hear them involve Creaky in their play. He’s one lucky kid to have brothers that enjoy him like that. (That is probably why it hasn’t taken a toll on me this marathon nursing– because when the boys get home I turn to chopped liver.)
For the daycare, I bought a plastic kitchen set from a friend and ask me how many times I have had to ask Creaky to come down from the top? More than once but not more than 100 times. He finally fell off it yesterday and landed hard on his bum. He was not happy. Maybe he will learn that it’s really not made for him to sit on the top cupboards.
He knows so much and part of me is amazed but the other part of me thinks “it’s about time.” I don’t know if the boys were more talkative at this point but I feel like Creaky is lagging behind w/ his vocabulary or not.. Last week, he told me to “make hotdog” and pointed to the microwave. He also has been very good at telling me that he has a poopy diaper and of course has been “acting” interested in using the potty. It’s a great scheme kids at this age start on their parents – I remember it well from the older boys. We will see how much longer we are in diapers but you won’t hear me talking about “training” him to go potty. He does well all night and doesn’t wet his diaper and the boys were the same way. I’ve asked him this week every time he has woken up if he needs to go potty and only twice did he say yes and went. The other times he was not in the mood for me to even ask and shook his head NO violently.

As little of un-interrupted sleep I get, I do enjoy this boy immensely and how he has added to the quality of our lives and has made a special place in ALL of our hearts. Love you sweetie pie!

Today I had an appt. with H.E.R.O (homeless empowerment relationship organization) and met w/ one of the directors. She told me a horrible story that just happened to the executive director a couple of weeks ago. Her 8 month old grandson was violently killed by a friend of the mother. I stood there w/ my mouth wide open. The funeral was last Friday. The awesome part of this is after he confessed to them what he did; her and her daughter forgave him. They just forgave him like that! At the funeral this woman spoke on healing for all families involved and moving forward. This woman sounds awesome and I can’t wait to meet w/ her.
Project W.A.I.T. (Work Alternatives for Individuals in their 3rd Trimester) this program is an alternative placement for pregnant women who must participate in welfare to work program in order to get their FIA checks. At 6 months of pregnancy, it seems futile to ask these women to attend employment workshops or to go out on interviews. In our program they volunteer for 5 hours a day and receive employment-related training and skills. They attend our Pathfinder class and create a personal action plan. 2 days/wk we help them w/ their plan. 3 days a week they do HERO work. They also learn how to sew and make a baby quilt for themselves as well as one square donated to HERO. We are hoping to create a book about their accomplishments, with one chapter dedicated to each of the participants. Their individual quilt squares will be joined to form one queen sized quilt. It will be featured in the book as well as possibly being offered for sale at auction.


I told her a little bit about myself and what I had to offer. She was delighted w/ it all and couldn’t wait for me to talk to the executive director. I know they have another “vision” in mind and they would like some one to head that up. I looked around the room and there wasn’t anyone else there to say they would do it. I didn’t sign up for it YET. I need to find some courage for something like that. I’m praying for that right now! We will see what will come of it all. I hope that all works out and I can be of service in this project because it sounds like a good one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

that top picture of crispin looks like he's just about to have a ginourmous SNEEZE! too cute!

7:07 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

that's the face he gives me when i tell him to "smile" cute?

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home