Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Absurd thinking and a little Spanglish for you




What a wonderful winter break we all have had. It started with Clint being done w/ classes a week before the boys were. We were able to do some running around together, even if it was just grocery shopping. Clint has a certain expectation of how Christmas should be and as much as it drives me crazy – I am at his mercy. As much as I HATE going all out for Christmas I am thankful that he puts so much energy into it because it does set this season apart from any other time in the year. Christmas is no ordinary day at our house and I enjoy seeing the kid’s anxious and wanting the day to last just as much as their dad.


Last October, Clint and I took the Marriage Course and if there was anything that I should have taken from that class was the fact that one of Clint’s love languages is giving and receiving gifts. My gifts were expression through touch and words. At the time I only saw that Clint was acting like a big kid that needed trinkets and such to feel loved and how absurd that was. For goodness sake, he’s a grown man and whatever kind of crap that was lacking growing up should be fixed because I didn’t think it would make a difference if I bought everything under the sun for him – it had to come from within. So, in my thinking by me giving love pats, kisses and kind words should have meant more to him than a $5 box of chocolates on the spur of the moment. That was my silly psychobabble infiltrating me and making this innocent love of receiving/giving gifts drive me crazy and think that he had issues that needed to be cleared out and dealt with. I couldn’t just accept it for what it was and I was determined to get him to see it my way or nothing. So every year before Christmas we have THE big blowup about this or sometimes it comes after Christmas – none the less it happens. This year it was kept to a 3 minute spat and about 2 hours of silence. In the silence I realized how selfish I was being by denying him something so simple because I think he should be fine without any little things and how my love for him should be enough. Plus, it doesn’t help I’m a “practical” gift giver and spending money on silly toys and candies makes me feel like a wasteful person. I thought back on how we have been showered in the past few months with little gifts from unsuspecting people and how blessed and LOVED I felt from receiving them. Yes, I said it – I felt LOVED from these gifts. I knew that they were giving because they genuinely felt the urge to give and they acted on it. This Christmas turned out to be full of surprises and genuine love shared between us and certain individuals. So, how could I deny Clint that because I think he’s being a big baby? I can’t, I shouldn't and I won't. I will from now on embrace this in him and I will try my best to speak this love language that will bind us together for years to come. It is my hope he will do the same and work on expressing himself in my love language and then we will spend our days giving gifts and hugs. Hey - It could happen!


The rest of the break was spent eating it seems like. We had friends over for some muy bueno comida Mexicana. Chile verde, homemade tortillas and tamales y posole. Delicioso! Clint iso most of it and I nomas stood in the cocina asking “what should I do now?” Aye Dolores, you would have thought you died y went straight up to el ceilo. El lugar donde true Nuevo Mexicanos y Arizonians van - donde speakit spanglish y listen to oldies but goodies in their souped up carros! Un dia nosotros can get together y comer chile that burns so good! Until that day - paz y amor para ti y Brett!


Oh I can’t forget to write about how I spent my New Year’s Day. I woke up with a stiff neck and I spent the day on muscle relaxants and pain relievers. So basically in and out of sleep. When I woke up the last time, I felt so much better and was able to stay awake long enough to eat homemade pizza that Jack made. That boy has a special talent in the pizza department. He can make the dough a perfect circle and add just the right amount of ingredients. We all ate more than our share of it.


I also finished knitting one sock and have started on the next one. I also would like to do some wool rug hooking and jewelry making with precious metal clay this year. I will ask Mrs. F if she would be willing to teach me rug hooking. It sounds easy enough, but there’s an initial investment that I don’t know if I would want to sink it in that or in jewelry making. We shall see - not at a spot where I can be throwing money left and right!


This is my favorite picture of Slade and Crispin


That is pretty much it. I enjoyed every waking hour with all that we did and now it’s time to keep the party going because SOMEONE turns 12 tomorrow! I can and can’t believe it at the same time. I’m kinda in that slap happy mode right now with it. It used to make me sad to see him growing up so quick but now I am so excited to see him mature into this wonderful young man. I have a friend that says to raise kids that you would like to hang out with and Slade is very much that kind of kid. He’s coming into some style and wit that is all his own. He’s been described as having wry humor and that was when he was in first grade so by now he’s got it down pretty good. He makes us roar with laughter sometimes while he keeps a dead pan look on his face. Where does he get it from?


Here’s to more fun and adventure in 2006 sprinkled with lots of love and harmony!

4 Comments:

Blogger Hayduke said...

And what happened then...?
Well...in Who-ville they say
That the Grinch's small heart
Grew three sizes that day!
And the minute his heart didn't feel quite so tight,
He whizzed with his load through the bright morning light
And he brought back the toys! And the food for the feast!
And he... Thanks for finally understanding, and I'll try to learn some new massages for you. Plus, we have to open a New Mexican style Mexican restaurant here in Ann Arbor y Micro Brewery.

4:13 AM  
Blogger TLC said...

I have what you call "delayed reaction" sometimes. I'm working on it. Plus, it's worth making this work out for both of us!

The restaurant would be awesome! It may happen - you never know!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Loli Go said...

You guys really make me understand and embrace what it will be like when we decide to start a family of our own (we better get busy, eh...we're not getting any younger)!! i just showed Brett the picture of the yummy pizza Jack made. YUM!!! We want the recipe!

And...the idea of a Nuevo Mexico restaurante sounds perfecto! That's what Brett and i say we want to do here in AZ. Maybe we can all become a mighty force and partner in the venture!!! Only Nuevo Mexicana's y their esposos understand the true cuisine of a style of food so delicious!

9:16 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

You and Brett are going to make GREAT parents! I can't wait - that baby will be enveloped in carino from all the familia on both sides! Your parent's might jump ship and move to AZ to be closer to the baby! I'm so excited for you new chapter! We will learn a few things about homeownership from you!
besitos!

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home