Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Fearless child o' mine and his many feats


Look at this boy scaling the wall like some kind of spider. This is one of his favorite past-times- climbing. He loves to climb onto the table and now he knows how to push a chair into the kitchen area and climb onto the counters. He does kind of scare me but I think I would go crazy if I tried to barricade the whole house. He can only climb on the stair wall when the gate is up and that gate is only up when I have daycare kids.

His other favorite past time is watching his "Muppets on Wheels" video. He LOVES that movie, just like Jack did at this age. He will watch it up to 10 x's a day. He asks for it by name "TRUCK!" and tries to open the basement door so that we can get the movie on for him. I even heard him in his sleep say, "TRUCK" He's cookoo for it.

The other day he put two words together - he's on his way to making sentences. He heard the door open and he said "Door" and then he saw Jack run out it and he said "bye Jack" He has many other favorite words which are: Jack, Slade, Mama, Dada, door, ball, duck (now he says Quack instead of duck) Dog, moon, car, stuck, Na-key (I'm trying to teach him Nakie butt) milk, blue-ber (for blueberries which he LOVES to eat all day long) caw caw (for black bird) hot, book, bread, broke, squ-rrel (for squirrel) wa wa (water) horse and another favorite past time of his - BOOK. Since he could hold his head up he has been fascinated with books. He mostly enjoys books with real photos. Sometimes he's really quiet and I will look and he's on the floor looking at all the books, especially the one with all sorts of TRUCKS.

We are all enjoying him so much. I just never imagined. He's a bit like Slade and a bit like Jack. I think more like Jack. Slade was always like 3 years older than he really was. He was so serious and always observing. Even around kids his own age, he would simply refer to them as "babies" I'm talking like 2 years old when he did that kind of thing. He didn't get the whole playing thing one bit, but would enjoy watching the other kids while he stood and observed. He would have rather sat and had conversations with us. He never watched a movie over and over, he didn't care to sit and watch a whole length of one. I think Crispin is a bit like Jack. He enjoys other kids company and doesn't pick fights or take toys away. He would somehow get kids to follow his lead and before long they were playing chase and having fun. I see Crispin do this with the 2 girls I take care of. He starts running around the table and the girls will follow, squealing all along. Sometimes Crispin hops the gate and sits on the stairs and the other kids will pass him toys through the little holes and they will do that for a good 15 minutes or so. It's cute to watch them get along so well.

For the 18 months that Crispin has been part of our life he has brought so much joy and laughter to all of us. I think Crispin and Jack have a bond that is so strong and I hope it only gets stronger and stronger from here.

This is about as much as I have done to keep track of his growing up - probably more than what I have done with the other boys. I hope they don't hold it against me when they are older. I do have things written here or there but nothing organized. Kinda like my life - bits and pieces here and there, projects started but not finished. My mom reminds me, it's my heart that matters the most. I can say that is wholly intact and beats nothing but love.

4 Comments:

Blogger abeNanna said...

Boys are so fun. We were watching a grown up Jesse climb halfway up a fallen tree and Stacey was a little scared that he might fall. I told her I had to quit watching him years ago or I probably would have had a heart attack or something by now. I refused to instill fear into my children by overreacting to their exploits. It seemed to have worked with the boys, but maybe not as well with the girls.

Love the picture, spiderkids are fun things to have around the house. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of the day to day with those of us so far away.

1:01 PM  
Blogger leaner said...

Have you ever read the past installations of Bringing up Ben and Birdy? (babycenter) there is one post before Birdy was born that she is talking about how she writes down little things on scraps of paper and imagines someday putting them all into this wonderful family heirloom type scrapbook. Your post made me think of that!

I think that as long as you remember some of the things- and I think girls care more about those little memories, I know I care a lot more than any of my brothers, I am always looking at my own baby books as well as theirs, I want to know which of us my children most resemble (and Gwen is trying to be like uncle Andrew! She even has his nose! and big chubby cheeks!)

My mom did have fearless sons, but for some reason I am a big scaredy cat (ok falling out of the tree at 10 was my turning point! LOL!!!)

9:22 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

abenanna - Oh yes - We went to watch an extreme sports show (tony hawk's boom boom huck jam) a few years ago and I screamed the whole time the motorcross guys would fly up in the air. I said, "those boys don't have moms!" I do hope that instead of instilling fear in them, I have made them "appreciate" fear...but I don't think I could watch them if they became extreme sports stars!

Leaner, Yeah, that was my plan too - I have calendars since slade was born with things written in them here and there and "someday" I will get to getting them all pieced together. Really - I thought I would be able to remember more than I actually do. It's weird how fast you forget but it's the essence of it that is with you but the fine strokes are missing.

7:13 AM  
Blogger leaner said...

SO true! There is so much I have forgotten from Rhayn's infancy. I know somewhere I have some of it written down, but who knows where it is! Now with Gwen, so far she has so many journals and notes and I hope she appreciates it all someday!

It would be a bit scary to have Extreme Sports stars! LOL WIll and I don;t even want to take Rhayn on roller coasters! (Both dislike them!) Luckily she has an Aunt and Uncle who will gladly take her when she is older!

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home