Friday, November 11, 2005

OH I LOVE TRASH!

Following in Oscar the grouch fashion - WE LOVE TRASH! Since moving to family housing we have been lucky enough to find a few items left by the side of the dumpster. Most recently Slade found a stereo system - not those big hunkin' pieces circa 1980 but the sleek more sophisticated ones that are around now days. It had rained the night before, so Clint took it apart and let it dry out. Now, since we have no TV we get to listen to NPR in surround sound while we eat dinner. I was walking to our car and I came across a brand new looking umbrella stroller. I was just thinking how I wish I had another one so I can have one in each car or at least one at home and TA DA - one magically appeared for me.

You wonder if we live in some kind of mecca of good-stuff-thrower-awayers. I remember a story about one of Slade's best friends in second grade, his mother told us how one day the kid found a TV and it actually worked when they plugged it in. I didn't think much of it at the time, only that of course a TV would be something he would enjoy since they didn't own one and I bet he was pretty sad that she made him put it back out. At least once a week there is a computer monitor or CPU out by the trash. I'm sure the owners being savvy computer geeks, have upgraded to a faster model and have no use for one that looks exactly like ours. This past summer there was a box of marked boys clothes in size 18 months-2T - so of course I pick through it and find a couple of shirts that would fit Crispin and a pair of overalls - practically new no rips or stains. Here's a list of things that we have happen upon since living here:

Practically New pair of Timberland outdoor shoes (just my size)
Trivial pursuit Junior edition (all game pieces included)
Plastic Dump Truck - like new
Glass covered case for showcasing all the new quarters (Slade hung in his room and his great g-ma sent him all the quarters he was missing)
minimally used trampoline (Slade's best friend took to their new house they just bought and have it all set up and works just fine)
tons of legos and other little toy pieces that Jack enjoys playing with

I was talking to a friend and she said I could make a living out of collecting the stuff and selling it. I already have a hard time with all the stuff that we have in our basement, that I would go crazy if I brought more stuff home. It's good to see it all "recycled" and not thrown in the landfills.

Now if we could only find an MP3 player and a PSP out by the trash - The boys would have THE Christmas of their lives!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home