Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas is HERE!

After many weeks explaining to everyone (Clint included) how this year because we can’t have a real tree in our place we wouldn’t be getting a tree this year. The boys seemed to understand why – They are very expensive and mom the frugal shopper that she is wanted to wait till AFTER the season to buy one at a steal of a price. Everyday since we put up our decorations, everyone seemed at odds w/ out a tree. Poor Jack would scan the advertisements and point out artificial trees that were less than $100. I would still have to tell him that it was more than we could afford. He even went so far as to want a White tree because it was 50% off and would come out to $20. I told him dad would NOT care for a white tree! I tried to ease their minds with the fact that Christmas would still happen and we could even use the little 1 foot tree Mrs. T gave us last year to make it as best as we can. It worked for a second. I could see them all growing more and more restless as the days got closer to Christmas. I even heard Clint tell his mom he was going to go out and come home with one. I gave him a glare that said, “YOU BETTER NOT!”

This weekend we popped into Target for household cleaning supplies and perused the Christmas tree aisles. There stood one lonely tree that seemed to need a home. Another lady was eyeing it and we all tried hard to find the price and more of them in boxes. We called people over to help us try to price it or to find out if there were more in the back. Everyone was stumped. I finally asked out of earshot of the other interested person, “Could we buy that one, without a box?” He called around to find out if it was okay to sell the displays, while I left to find my dish soap and hand soap. Clint stayed behind and when I got back, the tree was loaded on an oversized cart and ready to go. When we got to the checkout, the guy told the girl he couldn’t find a price for it, so ring it up at $19.99 and take 50% off. So we paid $10 for a tree! Even less because we were given two $3 off coupons for waiting in line for more than 10 minutes a month or so ago. So, we bought a tree at a steal of a price - $4. It’s a sweet little tree that fits perfectly in our little casita.

That was all it took for these boys to turn their demeanor around and finally stop pacing the floor because something was missing. Everyone one is happy, including mom.

I have to say, this has been the most stress free Christmas season since I can remember. I don’t know exactly what it is, but I think it has something to do with feeling very protected and taken care of from up above and from the kindred souls that surround us. I will always cherish this Christmas season for as long as I live – this one is set apart from all the other in many ways. There are no words that can accurately describe this – it’s better to live in the spirit of it all year round and that is what will do this Christmas justice.


**pictures to come when Jack gets home :)***

3 Comments:

Blogger lvh said...

I am so happy you were able to find a tree - I can deal with Christmas without presents as we did that a few years in Ely but I need my tree. Love ya, lvh

7:58 AM  
Blogger leaner said...

It isn't quite Christmas without a tree! Glad you got one for such a "steal"

8:40 AM  
Blogger abeNanna said...

Christmas miracles come in all shapes and sizes - even the shape of a Christmas tree.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home