Monday, September 12, 2005

Wants vs Needs

Today Clint will go and drop off a few of the hundred forms that state assistance requested. I want him to wear his UM SOCIAL WORK shirt and tell them that he's here to take over the place and infuse it with empathy. They treat people like crap. I sat there for about 50 minutes a few weeks ago observing their tone and facial expressions they used with people who came in to fill out/drop of applications. They made people feel like idiots with their eye rolling and gigantic sighs. I wanted to tell them to find another job. Our caseworker looks like she would rather be somewhere else and has no qualms showing it on her face. I hope I don't have to work with her too much because I think I could get more help from a wet rag!

Once this procedure is done, we hope to be able to qualify for health insurance for the boys and food stamps or whatever they are called nowadays. With the little bit of money Clint got for school and my little income we should be set to pay all our bills. Not much to play around with after the bills, but we feel pretty set in the things we need. Our wants on the other hand...well that will have to be for another time!

2 Comments:

Blogger Elise said...

Joe and I were on assist for about a year while we were in flagstaff. Except for the "why don't you know what you are doing face" the people there were really nice. We only wanted health insurance, but our case guy looked at our paper work and said, "you know, it's ok to swallow some pride, you can ask for more help and not feel bad about it. From your paper work I can see you are trying to live good lives and want to make them better, so go ahead and ask for more, you definately qualify for at least food if not more."
Wow, I had a stubborn social worker guy say I was leading a good life and trying to make it better. That really made my day knowing someone recognized our efforts. Don't worry honey they are not all jerks......just most of them.

12:06 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

No shame here. We are very proud of our situation - it's only temporary and for a good reason. We are also very thankful for that and for the opportunity we have here.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home