Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Preparations are in order...


I ordered my birth kit a week or so ago and I have been washing receiving blankets and getting things together. I still laugh so hard when I think about when I was in the throes of labor in the shower and I had to get out so mandy could get heart tones. (she didn't have a doppler at that time and I'm so happy she has one now!) I get out and ask Clint to wrap a towel on my head while I lean my head down. He throws it on my head and I wait for him to actually WRAP it on my hair so I can tuck in and have a nice turban to keep my hair out of the way. When I realize he is done, I look up at both mandy and him and mandy says, " you are asking the wrong people to do that - we both have short hair!" We laugh so hard and I do my best to get it on my head before another contraction comes. The next contraction, I'm pretty sure was the one that brought out Crispin's head and my towel wrapping wasn't good enough so it was falling off by that time. I ended up with my wet hair in my face anyway.

This time I am prepared! In the dollar section at Target, they had a microfiber spa towel that is made to wrap around your head w/ ease. It wasn't actually a dollar but 2 bucks and a half, so I bought it. I get home all excited to show clint how to use it in case we face the same situation. I, for the life of me can't get that thing on my head with ease! He's looking at me and finally says, "I don't know if I will be able to help you out - you might be on your own in that dept."

I think the towel is a swell idea, but my hair might be too long and too heavy for it. Oh well. I tried.

So, I think I have everything in order for this birth. The neighbor lady that had her baby a week or so ago came over to thank me for the booties I made and also to give me her phone number if I needed to send Creaky over there. That was very sweet of her. I hope the birth happens so fast, crispin won't know what happened and we all snuggle in bed with a little one and start living our new life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

LOL! you poor thing, bending over with a towel hanging from your head as if you were a coat rack! i like the way you tell it and i hope it was laughter that helped pushed crispin down. that's a nice way to think of it! maybe you should just get a shower cap and not get your hair wet at all! ;)
i'm just happy i'm not 8 months pregnant this time! should make a bathroom birth a little easier for all of us!
btw, i've always told you you should leave those eyebrows be. all cool Frida Kahlo style and all. hot tamale, you!

3:58 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Yes! A shower cap has been on my list for awhile now! Let's hope we have a moment of comic relief this time around. You are spot on w/ your comic timing (one of your many charming attributes - you should put that on your brochures!)

If you remember - I never intended to take a full shower, I only wanted to rinse off my belly from the vaseline from doing my belly cast the night before. As I stood in there, I decided to brush my teeth (i always brush them in the shower) and then I thought I should wash my face and finally, I had the thought of "might as well wash my hair" that is when ctx were mighty intense but I still stood there because I hadn't given my condition at least 2 minutes in my hair. I laugh when I think how I just didn't say "screw it" and rinse it out! I might have had a couple of inches more of HOT water when I decided to run the bath!

6:33 PM  
Blogger tif-do said...

We are all so impatiently waiting for the news. Grandma J, emailed me the other day and said, any day now I expect to get that call. I'm so excited for your family. Love ya, Tiff

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home