Tuesday, January 24, 2006

These are the FACTS...

Fact - you make a declaration and you may be likely to eat your words later. A few weeks ago I went to my moms’ group and made such declaration. If I remember correctly, my words went something like this: I am done having children. Crispin has made that clear for me. I probably went on to say how much he keeps us on our toes and because of that I wouldn’t have the energy for another one.

Lo and behold I was already 5 weeks along. After I made that comment, I knew I would be eating my words and I couldn’t get them back in my mouth fast enough. The next day – I KNEW something was up. It took me a week to finally take a test to confirm. It took me all weekend to finally muster up the courage to tell the other half. I was neither here nor there w/ the news. I wasn’t overly devastated nor was I overjoyed. It was a sucky space to be in. Yesterday, I presented the letter I had written a few moments after finding out to Clint. He took it better than I thought. Of course my letter did state that I wasn’t in the mood to hear every yucky notion that ran through his mind. He obliged much to his ability but asked if it was his because he couldn’t remember when it could have happened.

So here we are with another child on the way. It’s very much a circle for us – start out w/ an unplanned pregnancy and end with one – like bookends as Clint referred to it. I am feeling great and I know God isn’t into making deals but I did ask that since I was blindsided by this that He be merciful enough to let me slide by w/ minimal morning yuckies. We will see in another few weeks what is in store for me.

In the meantime, I have to think of a “foot in mouth” way to announce this to my group. (sheepish grin) I will be the laughing stalk, no doubt! Well, I should have known – half the group is pregnant and it must be in the water!

I will not have to worry about finding a midwife as mid-life midwife has stepped up to being my midwife as I have stepped up to being her first client. And that’s a fact!

I’m praying for a smooth uncomplicated pregnancy and much abundance in the support we will want from people. Support in the sense that we will not be made to feel like we are the stupidest people in the world for doing this. I called my mom the moment I found out and if she reacted badly, then I knew others would too. She laughed and said, “well, you always wanted a big family.” She prayed over the situation and put me at ease. I also had to call the Pastor’s wife, as we know they have gone through this themselves and she too was gracious and poured her love and support over us in this situation. I’m feeling better and getting excited about this. I am waiting a few more weeks before telling the boys. I don’t know how they will react, but if a hypothetical question that was presented to the oldest a few months ago gives any indication, then I will have to go about this as gingerly as possible.

Okay, enough babbling for now. Gotta go!

8 Comments:

Blogger Joxer's Human said...

I haven't any big comment to make but just wanted to be the first to respond to your post.. Wooo hooooo!! I'm so happy for you guys!!

Much love,

8:37 AM  
Blogger TLC said...

You will ALWAYS be the first to respond or at least to read my post! Well, so much for seeing you in AZ this year! Love you!

9:04 AM  
Blogger leaner said...

sending you an easy 1 trimester vibe! I hope that you have minimal morning yuckies, too. (We all know I and dacheese did not!) I am excited for you, really I am. I know its going to be awesome, and don't worry the kiddos will get over it. Coming from a larger family, and being the oldest, it was awesome there is just so much more love to share and more friends to have!

Hugs!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

sending many prayers for a wonderful and easy pregnancy. and that the boys adjust well. i am really excited for you.

2:50 PM  
Blogger tif-do said...

Can I get a WHAT!!! Congrats and my prayers are with you. Four is a good number. I wish we could go through it together agian, well not really, but I still want to hear all the details. Love ya-Tiff

3:51 PM  
Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

about the feeling stupid bit, or whatever (or "white trash"), reticulated mama told me an article from Brain Child that talked about what we've already discussed: that we Liberals need to step up and make bigger families b/c the next generation will have a lot more Republicans and shitey economics! ;) share that with Clint! he's being a responsible Left-Winger! looking out for the next generation of responsible, earth-friendly, peace and justice workers! it's about time we caught up with the breeders! (Oh, i am so terrible!but i thought clint would like this notion!)
love and so happy for y'all!!

6:26 PM  
Blogger abeNanna said...

This may be the best news I've read all day. When parents are as great as the two of you, what a lucky child. Funny how we beat ourselves up over something as wonderful as a child.

abe has a brother that was definitely unplanned and he brought two families together by making the yours, mine, and ours into an entire family unite. When the step mom announced the impending birth, the two oldest siblings got very upset with the parents. They thought that they too should have known better. In some ironic justice a few years later one of these two "smart" women found out she too was having an uplanned child.

Congratulations!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Pen-nut said...

I am so excited for you. You are such a wonderful Mother! Your children are lucky to have you, and what a blessing another one will be to you. Besides you know, four kids, that's not much compared to my six. Congrats!! Love ya!!

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home