Sunday, January 22, 2006

Meals and Deals

So last week we had three days of trying out new dinners.

Monday night we had Asian “Salisbury” Steak from the eating well magazine. I have to say, I enjoyed it over jasmine rice and would have it again. Next time around, I think I need something else to go with it like a yummy bowl of soup or something. Clint liked it too and said he would make it again and it wasn’t a big deal to make either. The boys liked it alright but weren’t over the moon with it.

Tuesday night we had Flemish Beef Stew from eating well magazine. It was “okay” for me. I think our slow cooker cooked it a little too much and I was tempted to throw some water in there. I ate mine over egg noodles. Clint enjoyed it very much and would make it again. I might turn off the crock pot an hour earlier next time. The boys ate it but didn’t say they LOVED it…figures those finicky eaters!

Wednesday night we made Leaner’s Balti Chicken Vindaloo. I was in the mood for something saucy and this isn’t but Clint cooked it for me and I ate it all up. Clint put in more spice, so he enjoyed the kick to it. We doubled the recipe and it was WAY too much. Jack wouldn’t touch it w/ a ten foot pole (because of the spice)and Slade was polite about eating it.

This week for meals, we are back to our normal normals like carnitas, chile colorado, chicken parmesan and hamburgers – bought some yummy pickles for frying (even tho everyone thinks that doesn’t sound good at all.). Oh, we will be trying a recipe called “Cassoulet-style Chicken Thighs.” It’s from the eating well magazine. Mandy tried it and said it was pretty darn good. It looks easy enough and there’s something about dark meat that gets me excited!

That yucky thing called R S Virus is going around and one of the little girls that I watch was exposed to it and came down w/ a fever and ear infections on Friday. The last time I had her was on Wednesday. Clint said yesterday while I was gone, Crispin had a temp of 99 but nothing more ever came of it.

Man, being a licensed daycare provider here at family housing has its perks but also has some slight disadvantages. They are asking that I become accredited through the National Association for Family Child Care. I wish this is something I would like to do for the rest of my life because there is so much that needs to be done to become accredited. I have a year to 18 months to get prepared and then I will have an observation visit. I wish I didn’t have to even go this route but if Clint gets into a PHD program here then I am sure I will still be doing daycare till he’s done. They really want everyone accredited soon and they are paying for everything. I will be doing a ton of training but there are perks to getting so many hours done. By summer I will have 22 hours and when I complete 30 hours, I will be given $200 then another $200 after 60 and then another after 90. When I am officially accredited, I will be given $600. My self-study packet should be arriving soon and it’s supposed to be my “bible” till I become accredited. Give me strength!

2 Comments:

Blogger leaner said...

how do you make carnitas? and chile colorado? I am also looking for new recipes!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

i have been meaning to try those recipies out of eating well. not organized enough yet. we need to do a recipe sway or something. my regulars are getting old.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home