Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Too Young to be parents?


I think not! Look at this handsome, loving, intelligent, kind, gentle, well spoken, polite, compasssionate young boy. I would have never thought this is what we would have been likely to conceive 12 years ago. I wish I could take more credit it for it, but on my part I have to give God the glory. Through His grace was I able to see the things in my growing up that I would not want repeated in anyone's life. Through God's grace, I was given a wonderful, easy son to care for, which gave me room to get to know myself and align my spirit with what God wants for us. We have never thought of Slade as "a mistake" because he wasn't conceived in a traditional way. We are proud of our backwards way of doing things. Proud when teachers come up to us and tell us what a joy it has been to have a kid like ours in their class. Proud when strangers come over to us in shopping malls to meet the parent's of this polite boy who held the door open for them. Proud when friends' parents call us up out of the blue to tell us how Slade has given comfort to their child by being a good friend. Proud when people meet us for the first time and they get that "Oh - Slade is YOUR son? He is such a super kid." Like they half expected some better dressed, older parent to pick up this kid.

Clint can better describe the essence of our boys through his writing. I come from that place of proud mamma blubbering.

I am so amazed and I guess it will never end for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Briep said...

Slade is a great boy I hope that My daughter turns out to be polite and sweet. I can still remember when I would go see you guys when slade was very little. I miss being able to go see family. Next summer though!

12:56 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Yes, I remember those days. You were always so kind and gentle with him. I come across that picture every now and then, where you spiked up Slade's hair with water when he was just a year old or so. Those were fun times!

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home